Prof. Venelin M. Gerganov, MD, PhD - neurosurgeon
Prof. V. Gerganov was born on the 19th of June 1970 in Sofia, Bulgaria. He graduated the Sofia Medical University in 1996 and then trained in neurosurgery at the Departments of Neurosurgery, Sofia Medical University and at the International Neuroscience Institute (INI) in Hannover, Germany.
He subspecialized further in skull base surgery, neuroendoscopy, minimally-invasive and image-guided neurosurgery (neuronavigation) at the University of Vienna and in the International Neuroscience Institute- Hannover under Madjid Samii.
Prof. Gerganov is one of the closest pupil and associates of the world’s leading neurosurgeon Prof. Madjid Samii. Currently he is Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon at the International Neuroscience Institute- Hannover (President Prof. M. Samii) and Associate Professor at the Hannover Medical School.
He authored 180 scientific works and co-authored 31 book chapters, including in the most prestigious Youmans Neurological Surgery.
Together with M. Samii he is a co-author of the fundamental book “Surgery of Cerebellopontine Angle Lesions”, which was released in 2013.
Editorial board member:
- Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery;
- BioMed Research International
- Neurosurgery Journal
- International Neuroscience Journal
Ad hoc reviewer:
Neurosurgery, Neurosurgical Review, Clinical Neurology and Neurosurgery, Neurology India, J of Neuroimaging, Neuroimage, Neuroscience, International Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, World Journal of Surgical Oncology, Journal of Neurosurgical Sciences, Journal of Neurological Surgery – A, BioMed Research International, Asian Journal of Neurosurgery
Membership of medical and scientific societies:
- European Association of Neurosurgical Societies
- Member of the Young Neurosurgeons Forum of the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (2005-2008)
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Neurochirurgie
- European Skull Base Society
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Schädelbasischirurgie
- Madjid Samii Society of International Neurosurgeons
- Member of the Deutscher Hochschulverband
- Southeast European Neurosurgical Society
- Macedonian Neurosurgical Association
Neurosurgical grants and prizes:
- Research scholarship of the ÖAAD (Austrian Academic Exchange Office), Vienna, Austria, 07.-12.1999
- Research scholarship of the German Academic Exchange Office, 09.-12.2003
- Karl Storz International Fellowship for the clinical application Neuroendocopy, 2006-2007
- Best Scientific Abstract Award, European Skull Base Society, 6th International Congress of the World Federation of Skull Base Societies and 10th European Skull Base Society Congress, 16-19.05.2012, Brighton, UK
- University of Magdeburg (2007-2009)
- Hannover Medical School (since 2008)
- Member of the PhD Faculty: Clinical Fellowship/PhD-Program “Clinical Neurosciences” (Tehran University of Medical Sciences and the International Neuroscience Institute Hannover)